Thursday, July 17, 2014

Past, Present & Future


With Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim starting today and the Swim Show this weekend I am currently like a kid waiting to go to the candy store. I am impatiently anticipating all the excitement that awaits me in Miami, Florida and it can't come soon enough. As I sit here wondering what I will see, the colors, styles, models, music; I can't help but think of all that has come before it.  How is what we see today  influenced by designs of the past. So in order to keep myself, or at least my mind, occupied until the start of the first show I have been taking a look back to see how swimwear has changed and evolved into what we see today. And to prepare myself to see what the future (specifically today, but it still counts) has in store!








The 1920's-1940's
This is the start of bathing suits as we would recognize them today. The first modern suits were essentially the same for men and women. The suits covered the thighs and provided maximum coverage with little shape. As time passed the suits became more figuring hugging and the shorts of the pasts morphed into skirts. Finally in the 1940's the first bikini was introduced and drastically changed the way the world looked at swimwear.












The 1950's to 1970's
The biggest changes in these decades were the evolution from the high waisted bikini to progressively skimpier designs. Another major change of this time was the invention of new materials which allowed for more stretch and more contouring along the figure.









1980's-Present
Although the 80's may seem like a distant memory to some of us it is definitely a reflection of the modern times of swimwear. Although trends have come and gone over the past 3 decades the current suit has remainded mostly unchanged. The true representation of variances between the years stems mostly from coverage, whether it's full, moderate, Brazilian or thong. Regardless of the small updates the current suit styles seem to be holding strong with no signs of going away. 





What does the future have in store? I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Shop the newest styles HERE!



No comments:

Post a Comment