Hats make a stylish statement and after this popular accessory's recent exposure at the Royal Wedding and Kentucky Derby, the hat trend is here to stay for summer 2011.
Hats serve both fashion and function:
- A 3 inch brim can block the direct UV rays to the sides of the face and ears.
- Brims that curve down and sit closer to the face will provide the best protection.
- Sun hats that have white tops will reflect heat.
- A khaki, beige, grey or off-white hat is easy to keep clean.
- Fabric hats can be packed tightly into luggage and will spring back into shape once they are unpacked.
- Pair a hat with sunglasses for a chic celeb-worthy look.
There are so many amazing styes this summer it is difficult to choose right one! When shopping for a hat, think about the setting in which you will wear it. Do you need sun protection? Will you be traveling with your hat, do you need something that can be packed without damaging it? Or will you be wearing your hat at an event, do you need something to match with your other accessories?
Here are our editor's picks for the season:
Casual Day Wear or Shopping -
Want something nice to throw on while you run your errands or go shopping? A hat is a great solution. You can pull your hair back and slip it on and you are out the door, no styling required. This straw cowboy hat with turquoise beads, the Flora Bella Tanya Natural Hat, has lots of personality.
Beach Visit -
This linen and lurex hat, the Flora Bella Marlo Off White Hat, can be easily packed into a beach bag and the extra wide brim will give you maximum UV protection.
This white ribbon hat, Flora Bella Susan Hat, with a silver leather tie is nautical and chic. And it will keep your hair in place during a windy boat ride.
Summer Event -
The Flora Bella Delta Raffia Braided Hat, has a glamorous extra-wide brim but it is done in natural raffia color which keeps it casual. It would look lovely paired with a maxi dress, jumpsuit or wide-leg trousers.
collection of this season's sun hats on All Wet Beachwear.